You stopover at a global the place Robots pressure to recollect the lifestyles of the lads who created them; pay attention the tantalizingly short record of a guy who returns from a visit to the longer term; see the snake-armed factor that emerges from the minds of the folk who conjure it. You meet a memento hunter within the 30th Century and a schoolgirl who attempts to deal with the instructing equipment of the Twenty-second Century. You percentage the phobia of an astronaut in a “haunted” area swimsuit and the trouble of a spouse whose husband is familiar with a typical chemical formulation for destroying the earth. in brief, you're feeling the impression, the originality, and the uncanny surroundings created by way of those technological know-how fiction specialists now not once—but 50 times.
50 brief technological know-how Fiction Tales were chosen for his or her concise writing, and for punch strains that go away the reader “surprised, stunned, and extremely joyful on the ultimate sentence.” in accordance with the editors, one other vital point of this literary shape is “evocation of a history differing from our own.” accordingly, even though many of the tales are only a web page lengthy, the examining adventure is often excitingly unique.
* Ballade of a man-made Satellite via Poul Anderson
* The enjoyable They Had through Isaac Asimov
* Men Are Different by way of Alan Bloch
* The Ambassadors by way of Anthony Boucher
* The Weapon through Fredric Brown
* Random Sample via T. P. Caravan
* Oscar by means of Cleve Cartmill
* The Mist by way of Peter Cartur (pseud. Peter Grainger)
* Teething Ring via James Causey
* The Haunted area Suit by way of Arthur C. Clarke
* Stair Trick by means of Mildred Clingerman
* Unwelcome Tenant through Roger Dee
* The Mathematicians by way of Arthur Feldman
* The 3rd Level by means of Jack Finney
* Beautiful, attractive, Beautiful! through Stuart Friedman
* The Figure through Edward Grendon
* The Rag Thing through David Grinnell (pseud. Donald A. Wollheim)
* The reliable Provider through Marion Gross
* Columbus was once a Dope via Robert A. Heinlein
* Texas Week via Albert Hernhuter
* Hilda by way of H. B. Hickey
* The Choice by way of Wayland Hilton-Young
* Not With a Bang through Damon Knight
* The Altar at Midnight by means of C. M. Kornbluth
* A undesirable Day for Sales via Fritz Leiber
* Who’s Cribbing? through Jack Lewis
* Spectator Sport via John D. MacDonald
* The Cricket Ball through Avro Manhattan
* Double-Take by way of Winston okay. Marks
* Prolog by means of John P. McKnight
* The to be had info at the Worp Reaction via Lion Miller
* Narapoia through Alan Nelson
* Tiger by means of the Tail by means of Alan E. Nourse
* Counter Charm through Peter Phillips
* The Fly through Arthur Porges
* The company, as Usual through Mack Reynolds
* Two Weeks in August by means of Frank M. Robinson
* See? through Edward G. Robles, Jr.
* Appointment at Noon through Eric Frank Russell
* We Don’t wish Any Trouble via James H. Schmitz
* Built Down Logically via Howard Schoenfeld
* An Egg a Month from All Over by means of Idris Seabright (pseud. Margaret St. Clair)
* The ideal Woman through Robert Sheckley
* The Hunters by means of Walt Sheldon
* The Martian and the Magician via Evelyn E. Smith
* Barney by way of Will Stanton
* Talent by way of Theodore Sturgeon
* Project Hush by means of William Tenn
* The nice Judge through A. E. van Vogt
* Emergency Landing by means of Ralph Williams
* Obviously Suicide by means of S. Fowler Wright
* Six Haiku through Karen Anderson
Originally released 1963 by way of Collier Books.
Read or Download 50 Short Science Fiction Tales PDF
Best anthology books
Mixing the romantic splendor of the Victorian period with glossy medical advances, the preferred Steampunk style spotlighted during this assortment is leading edge and stimulates the mind's eye. This artfully assembled anthology of unique fiction, nonfiction, and artwork can function an advent to the Steampunk culture or supply devoted fanatics with extra gasoline.
DIRECT FROM RUSSIA this day! A MIND-BLASTING GALAXY OF FAR-OUT, fascinating STORIES!
THE NEW global OF SOVIET technological know-how FICTION
Where robots problem their creators for domination of the Earth. ..
Where a wierd type of mutation threatens to alter males into beasts. ..
Where human wishes and values are locked in fateful conflict with the totalitarian ethos of the computing device. ..
These are yet some of the topics mirrored within the amassing of glittering gemstones of Soviet technological know-how Fiction. like every nice SF, those unbelievable flights of the mind's eye will shake up your earlier principles of the potential and the possible. they usually can also tremendously regulate your belief of simply what's taking place in Russia at the present time.
(Blurb taken from again disguise)
The intensity and breadth of what technology fiction and myth fiction is alterations with each passing 12 months. the 2 dozen tales selected for this e-book by means of award-winning anthologist Jonathan Strahan rigorously maps this evolution, giving readers an enthralling and always-entertaining examine some of the best the style has to supply.
Retail ePub of this each year technological know-how Fiction brief tale assortment edited through David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer
Once back, the best short-form sf choices of the 12 months were accumulated in one quantity. With Year's top SF 17, acclaimed, award-winning editors and anthologists David G. Hartwell and Kathryn Cramer display the superb intensity and gear of latest speculative fiction, showcasing brilliant tales from a number of the genre's most useful names in addition to intriguing new writers to observe. organize to trip gentle years from the standard right into a the next day to come instantaneously breathtaking, scary, and attainable, with stories of ask yourself from:
- Selected Poems
- The Penguin Book of Modern British Short Stories
- Book-song: An anthology of poems of books and bookmen from modern authors
- Aickman's Heirs
Extra resources for 50 Short Science Fiction Tales
The sea leaps into the sky and cries aloud. Without him here, what shall I say? how shall I survive? indd 51 12/10/13 9:56 AM What Her Mother Said O women, you too have daughters and have brought them up. How can I tell you about my poor girl? She talks of the conch shell, she talks of the wheel, and she talks, night and day, of the basil in his hair, what shall I do? indd 52 12/10/13 9:56 AM You roam the seas the mountains, the skies, you touch them lightly, cold north wind! Night and day, lit by alternate lamps of sun and moon, like us you wander sleepless: are you also craving, since the time time began, for a glimpse of our lord of the mighty wheel?
O Nourisher, sole Seer, judge of the dead, O sun, offspring of the Father of Creatures, fan out your rays, draw up luster. That most splendrous form, yours— I would see—that is— the I am. 17. Animate breath is undying but the body ends in cinder. Om! Oh volition, remember, remember that which was done. Remember that which was done. 18. O Fire, knower of every creature’s breath, take us along the good road, far from deviant evil. We offer you precious verse. indd 23 [ 23 ] 12/10/13 9:56 AM Īśa Upaniṣad I ndia’s one hundred and eight Upaniṣads are an enormous compendium of cosmic speculation, folklore, mystical insight, and homespun humor.
Kāmadeva, unite me to him soon. indd 42 12/10/13 9:56 AM I dedicated my swelling breasts to the lord who holds the conch and flaming discus. If there is even a whisper of giving me to a mortal, I shall not live. O Manmatha, would you permit a roving jackal to sniff and eat the sacrificial food the Brahmins offer to celestial gods? indd 43 [ 43 ] 12/10/13 9:56 AM Learned Brahmins chanted Vedic mantras, placed green dharba grass around the sacrificial fire lit with twigs. The lord of great prowess, strong as a raging elephant, took my hand, we walked around the fire— I dreamt this dream, my friend.
50 Short Science Fiction Tales